Sunday, November 7, 2010

After the last pass...dejection and jube.

My friend Ross Taylor has a photo blog called Fries at the Bottom of the Bag. Here's the link.... http://rosstaylorfoto.blogspot.com/. I didn't think too hard about the name for a while except to think that Ross really likes fries. This morning I get it.

It's a "duh" moment, for sure. He's talking about the images you file from something that you really, really love that, for whatever reason, never see the light of day in the paper. And like the fries at the bottom of the bag, those lonely, forgotten greasiness sticks, those neglected images are often, to me, the best ones of the day.

Two examples from shooting the game between Fort Valley State University and Albany State University in Columbus yesterday.



So Fort Valley lost, which was really disappointing since they would have won their conference title otherwise. So, sure, the winning side got the whole tank of gatorade thing to look at, but frankly I prefer moments like this. Major let down seems less scripted, in a way.

Jube is the news photographer term for post game celebration, aka jubilation. If jube is what you are after, which my paper wasn't, I have this image of the father of the MVP of the winning team heading back to his car with the MVP trophy. "My boy's gonna play on Sunday!" he said more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment