Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fireball!!!!

Sent to the Georgia National Fair (secede much?) to shoot some pretty pictures, a pretty common Fall assignment, I decided this year to get on a ride rather than just look at it.

Enter the Fireball.



Standing in line I couldn't decide who I wanted to sit next to on the ride or whether or not "The Man" would let me on with a massive SLR on my neck. First problem was solved when I realized how awesome the sisters in line behind me were. They were totally game to have a weirdo behind photograph them on their first trip to the Fireball. Second problem was easy, too, through the magic of apathy on the part of "The Man". Ah, apathy.

On the ride, I now have to decide how to strap the camera. Wrapped around the wrist would seem to be the best route. So, naturally, I leave the strap around my neck, assured by the heft of the camera that all would be fine.

Once upside down I had that "oh yeah, gravity" moment in which I really feared the mega-awesome SLR was going to follow my hat groundward. Through well trained upper body strength (and some help from the endocrine system) I held on til the end, making the image above.

There you have it.

Cheers,
Grant B.

1 comment:

  1. Grant,

    You turned a very routine photo assignment into something amazing. I love the emotion in their faces. I admire the way you thought "outside of the box" when shooting this photo. I even shared this with my photojournalism professor.

    Ashlee Culverhouse

    ReplyDelete